Returning to KIS for my 4th year is going to be fabulous. I have had the chance to work with enthusiastic educators, stupendous students, and amazing administrators in the past four years. New faculty are arriving, and its getting exciting to start this next school year. Faculty orientation is going to be quickly upon us.
With so many new people coming in, I thought it would be good to look at what I do at KIS, and think about my goals for the upcoming year. New year, new team, new goals!
So, a little background. My role at KIS is of an Educational Technology Specialist. I work to build capacity with Technology in the classroom. I teach teachers in the KIS Fishbowl Classroom. I plan and deliver lessons on current technology tools for the classroom. But there is so much more...
Infographic created by @stevekatz
The Fishbowl classroom is just the surface. My role is to understand what is happening around my school. I support teachers to use technology, and help them to lesson plan. I want teachers to leverage technology in ways to promote better understanding, improve achievement, and redefine tasks to become something entirely new.
Support in the classroom comes in many ways, from team teaching to direct instruction. I support in lessons, to help teachers when the technology is a distraction from the content. This is until I can build the teacher's capacity, so they can deliver it themselves.
In the past, I have worked with a team of individuals working across the entire school. Not just the elementary, middle or high school. We worked with teachers that we build relationships with, or have an interest in what they are doing. We look for invitations to come work with the teachers and classes, as to not be intrusive. Last year, two valued members of my team have moved on to other schools.
I am excited to be involved in the new evolution of the KIS EdTech team. The team of five, gets a new head of department, and a new teammate. Daniel Kilback and Richard Poth will be exciting new additions to the team.
My Goals for 2015-16 are to:
- continue building the EdTech team at KIS. With new teammates, my team will need me to help them transition into their new roles. I need to build their capacity with their new roles, so they are able to help others as quickly as possible.
- work more closely with the Elementary students at KIS and the 'One to World' iPad program.
- continue to create new, innovative, and awesome sessions for the Fishbowl and beyond!
- support the IT department to fully take over the Mobile Device Manager's day to day operation.
- continue being an ambassador to the world-wide community for my school. Presenting at conferences, representing my school and myself to help others, while learning from others as well.
- continue extending my knowledge in my Master's course. I have finished my Coetail courses this year. I need to continue growing towards a Masters in Educational Leadership to build my qualifications.
- Not over extend myself. I have a habit of saying "yes", even though I need to take more time to do things properly. "Not at this time" needs to be an acceptable answer. I want to focus, and work well.