Skip to main content

DonkeyCar: Raspberry Pi Controlled Robot Car


Last summer, I worked with students at Waupaca Middle School to create robotic cars. We started building from instructions from donkeycar.com, to build cars powered by Raspberry Pi computers.



This process was technical, but my students did much of the heavy lifting. I created the disk images for the students, and my 3d printer was printing some of the largest parts ahead of time for our two week course. We were successful in creating drivable cars, within a week! 

Here is a list of what the students did:

  • Disassemble necessary parts of the car
  • Assembly.
  • Mounting battery.
  • Finding the codes for calibrating the cars.
  • 3d printing parts.
  • programing in their codes, 
  • launching the driving website.
  • designing a road course for the cars.
  • connecting a tablet to drive their car.
  • driving the cars.
  • and learning to fix the cars... when they didn't work so well.

Here is the process that we followed.




We have more work to do... but the platform has options to expand.  Looking in the future to work on the autonomous driving programming. Also it would be great to find a more permanent course for our cars. I would love to have a bit of a community of other drivers that want to come together work!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spike Prime Printable Blocks

As I prepare for coaching Middle Schoolers here in Waupaca for FIRST Lego League, I am trying to teach kids to code the SPIKE Prime Lego robots. This has its challenges. Some kids take to coding well, and some need more visuals to guide them. Teams may also want to whiteboard out their coding concepts.  I created this set of printable Word Blocks as a resource for printing, laminating, and maybe adding some magnets to the back. This allows me to put up code in a demonstration, or my teams to talk about how to achieve things after they have done some pseudo-coding of their projects. Having manipulative items are always nice for hands-on coding practice.  Whiteboard Word blocks for Proportional Line follow. Here is my collection of laminated word blocks Below are the files I created for creating these blocks. Feel free to use, but maybe send me a note & follow on twitter. @artschultz13 Direct link to folder shown below.

Graphic Organizers and Canva

Getting students to keep on task, keeping organized is a hard part of teaching in a middle school. I coach a Robotics team, and I also work with teachers to try to build their capacity for technology skills.  One way I try to help my kids is to teach teachers to create Graphic Organizers. Canva is a free tool that is great for creating all sorts of publications, videos, and even documents and websites. The tool is very flexible and allows you to upload graphics, or borrow from theirs. It has many great features for teachers, including classroom tools for creating alongside of your students. There are great tutorials for teachers, at: https://www.canva.com/designschool/tutorials/canva-for-teachers/ If you are not already using Canva, teachers can sign up for an upgrade through their verification process, and get it for free. Go to Canva.com/education Graphic Organizers Graphic organizers are a way to break down complicated problems into more manageable pieces. The often use colors ...

Trading Cards for Historical Figures

Trading Cards for Historical Figures 'King Kelly' via CC2.0 I was asked by a teacher in my building to help make a template for students to make 'historical figures trading cards'.  Not old baseball cards. Basically a sports card, that students could edit to show details about a person that they could research. The template is linked below the video clip. Here is my short explanation of how to modify... Here is my template for Making a Trading Card in Google Drawings . Hope this helps you!